Indian Head Penny Silvertone Arrowhead Pendant
SKU ID #428143
Availability: In Stock
Ready to ship in 3 - 5 Business Days
A unique way to honor the American west - and to celebrate the culture and history of Native Americans! The first to acknowledge the country's westward expansion, the Indian Head cent featured Liberty in full headdress. Designed by James B. Longacre and minted from 1859-1909, it's presented here in a beautiful silvertone pendant in the shape of an arrowhead that reveals both sides of the coin. Hangs from a rope chain about 24" long and includes Certificate of Authenticity.
- Chain: 24”
Indian Head Penny
- Minted 1859-1909
- Diameter 19mm
- Indian Cents minted from 1859-1863 and some in minted 1864 were minted of 88% copper and 12% nickel
- Indian Cents minted from 1865-1909 plus some minted in 1864 were minted of 95% copper and 5% tin (these coins are considered “bronze”)
- Designed by James B. Longacre
- Tradition has it that Longacre’s young daughter, Sarah, posed for the portrait one day while she was visiting her father at the mint. The apocryphal story claims that an Indian chief was there at the same time and playfully placed his feathered bonnet on her head. Supposedly, Longacre made a quick sketch, which he later used as a model for his copper and gold coin designs.
- The first coin to feature a Native American Indian.